Credit Insurance – Can your business afford to be without it?

Credit insurance safeguards your business against the failure of your customer to pay their trade credit debts. Upon one of your buyers becoming insolvent an insurance policy can pay up to 90% of the debt due to you.

An insurance policy can also offer a useful credit information service due the data customers can access via a specialist insurer’s online information system.

Without credit insurance 76% of time once a debtor goes into liquidation you will unable to recover any amounts owed.

Please call Stuart or Lorna today to discuss on 01934 522252.


GAP Insurance – Looking to buy a new car this September?

If you are looking to buy a new car this month be wary of buying GAP Insurance via the dealer as they often sell it to you by  using pushy sales tactics at an inflated price.

We have been providing GAP (Guaranteed Asset Protection) insurance to our clients for many years and offer a market leading product at competitive prices.

Gap insurance covers the difference between the amount you paid for your car and the amount an insurance company would give you if it was written off or stolen. It can be useful to have as new cars can lose their value very quickly.

Please call Richard or Debbie  today to discuss on 01934 522252.


Landscape Gardeners’ Insurance

It’s that time of year as the weather improves that businesses in this sector move into  full throttle. Care needs to be taken to make sure that you have the correct cover in place at this busy time.  

We provide competitive cover for landscaping trades including:  

•             Landscaping, Design & General Maintenance

•             Grass cutting

•             Hedge trimming

•             Tree surgery – lopping and felling

•             Turfing

•             Weeding and clearance

•             Paving

•             Fencing 

Our policies can be tailored to suit your needs including public liability insurance up to £10 million, employers’ liability, own plant and tools, hired in plant and professional indemnity cover.

Call Stuart or Lorna on 01934 522252 to discuss your requirements.


GDPR – Insurer’s Guidance on Record Keeping for Forest School leaders

The guidance is that all Forest School leaders should retain records of participants for at least 6 years, whether a participant attended for one session or on numerous occasions. This is due to the fact that the legal system allows a potential claimant to make a claim 3 years after the date of discovery of an injury (whether it is a valid claim or not). In the event of a claim  insurers  need all the participant’s details, records, risk assessments, etc in order to help defend you. The other aspect to also consider is that the HMRC require you to hold all financial accounts for 6 to7 years.


Christmas Opening Hours

Please note that we have some amended opening hours for the Christmas period, which will be as follows:

22nd  December: 9am to 1pm

Christmas Day: Closed

Boxing Day: Closed

27th December: 9am to 1pm

28th December: 9am to 1pm

29th December: 9am to 1pm

May I take this opportunity of wishing all our customers and commercial partners a very merry Christmas and a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year.

Stuart Rose

Insurance for Airbnb lets

Airbnb and Home and Let Property Insurance

Airbnb has opened up a new world of opportunity to generate income from your property. The flip side is that home and property owners need to beware that insurance companies will not always accept that whole of part of your property being let via Airbnb and your policy may be invalidated as a result.

Only certain insurers will allow homes to be let via Airbnb and at Birnbeck we have access to insurance products that will allow buy to let properties to be let via Airbnb and can give you the appropriate cover. Home insurance cover can be more problematic and care needs to be taken to disclose this activity to your insurer and make the appropriate arrangements.

Whilst Airbnb provide a Host Guarantee, as they freely admit it is not a suitable substitute for properly arranged insurance. Storm and flood damage is not covered by the guarantee and any losses need to be linked to your listing with Airbnb.

Please contact us on 01934 522252 so we discuss your requirements.


Nursery and Childcare Insurance

Nurseries & Childcare Insurance

If you are looking to cover your  child care centre or nursery you may have found it a challenge and not be entirely sure if you are getting exactly the right level of cover, both legally and appropriately for your business.

We can assist you with your insurance for Nurseries, Private Day Care Centres and Kindergartens. Cover for days out including outdoor learning and Forest School sessions can also be included.

Typical cover for your nursery business will include:

Public Liability

Employers Liability

Business Interruption

Legal Expenses

Building Insurance

Vehicle/minibus insurance

Loss of Registration

Personal Accident Cover

Professional Indemnity

Without speaking to an insurance professional who is employed to work on your behalf you are leaving it to chance whether or not you have the correct level of cover you need for your business.

We ask the questions that insurance companies require and disclose information to them to ensure you have the cover you need.

If you feel you require additional cover for any other activities you are involved in, please give us a call on 01934 522252 and we will be able to arrange the appropriate cover.


Metal Fabricators

Insurance for metal fabricators and metalworkers

We have access to an exclusive facility for the metalwork sector which offers market leading cover at competitive premiums. We have considerable experience in arranging insurance for clients working in this sector built up over a number of years.

Included amongst the activities that we can insure are steel fabricators, sheet metal work, CNC milling, CNC lathes and precision engineering. Site work including hot works can be accommodated. Work with structural steelwork or jobs at hazardous locations can also be included subject to full details.

 Please contact Stuart or Lorna on 01934 522252 should you require further information.


Do you need last minute travel insurance?

Do you need last minute travel insurance?

Quote and buy travel insurance is now available online via Birnbeck’s website. We have partnered with experienced travel insurance specialist Citybond Suretravel to provide instant travel insurance quotes online, at competitive premiums.

Citybond provide 3 levels of cover Supreme, Premier or Economy to cater for differing cover requirements and budgets.

The insurance schemes available include Single Trip Travel, Year Round Travel, Young Traveller and Long Stay.

As ever if you prefer to please feel free to contact the office to discuss your requirements and obtain a quote on 01934 522252.

The Ogden Discount Rate and Personal Injury Settlements

The Ogden Discount Rate, which is used by the courts to calculate personal injury settlements  has changed. This affects personal injury awards made to claimant and ultimately the premiums of all classes of motor and liability insurance, which involve compensation payments for personal injury.

When assessing lump sum awards for personal injury claimants the courts take into account the net rate of return (discount rate) that the claimant might expect  from a reasonably prudent investment of lump sum compensation.

Since 2001 the rate has been 2.5%. This has been amended by 3.25% to -0.75%. The rate change applies retrospectively to all current claims.

This removal of the discount rate is going to make a significant difference as certain awards (such as for nursing care) are paid annually.

Due to this change we expect insurers to have to pay out higher injury awards, which may filter through to premiums. However as an independent broker we use a wide panel of insurers and will continue to search the market for the best deal for you.

BIBA (British Insurance Brokers Association) Purple Partnership

Copyright © 2018 Birnbeck Finance Limited t/a Birnbeck Insurance Services
Registered Address: Whetcombe Whey, Ropers Lane, Wrington, Somerset, BS40 5NH
Company No. 01158939
Registered in England and Wales

Our industry’s ombudsman is the Financial Ombudsman Service
We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority
FCA Registration Number: 125599
Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act Certificate